Visa Requirements

Work Visa Process for China

Getting a work visa for China (Z Visa) involves the following steps. Although this process may seem complicated, our experienced professionals will guide you through the whole process step by step to ensure that you are able to live and work legally in China.

Gather Documents

To apply for a Z Visa you will need the following documents:

ESL Instructors are required to have a passport from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, The United Kingdom, or United States of America.
A Bachelors degree or higher is required in order to be eligible for a work visa.
Resume/CV should show all activities since university, including periods of self-employment or travel.
Police Check
Police check certificate completed within the last 6 months.
Proof of Experience
ESL Instructor positions require either a Bachelors of Education, two years of experience, or a TEFL certificate.
Most other positions require a reference letter from a former employer indicating at least two years of relevant experience.
Offer Letter
To apply for a work visa you will need an offer letter from an employer in China who is legally allowed to hire foreigners.

Apply now with your resume and short video introduction and we can start to set up interviews with reputable employers in Chongqing to help you obtain this.

Legalize documents

Your diploma and police check need to be legalized by the Chinese embassy in your country. This is a three step process:

Documents must be certified as true copies by a local notary public in the same area you intend to apply for legalization.
The foreign affairs department in the country where you plan to apply for legalization. Detailed information and links to local foreign affairs departments are available through
Online bookings and authoritative information on the legalization process are available through the China Visa Application Center's website.

Apply for Work Permit

Once you have gathered all necessary documents, courier them to us in China (we'll provide the address). You can send us a scan of the documents prior to sending them. We require the following documents:

  • Legalized Police Check
  • Legalized copy of your Diploma
  • Original proof of experience.

Come To Chongqing

In order to legally enter China and apply for a Work Permit you will need a Z Visa.

  1. Upon approval of your documents, the Chinese government will issue a "Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit in the People's Republic of China." We will email you a copy of this letter with a bar-code.
  2. Schedule and appointment and bring your passport and notification letter to your local China Visa Application Center, and pay any necessary fees.
  3. Your passport will be returned with the Z Visa that you can use to enter China.

Apply for Residence Permit

Upon entry into China with a valid Z Visa, some additional steps are required.

Medical Check
Once you arrive in China you will need to complete a medical check. This is a basic procedure to ensure you do not have any serious communicable diseases.
Work Permit
Your Z Visa and employment contract can be converted into a work permit.
Residence Permit
Within 30 days you will need to bring your Work Permit and passport to the local police department to apply for a residence permit.